As of October 18, 2013, Pie and Beer has moved!

Click here to go to the new address, or stay here to read posts from the archives.






Thursday, February 07, 2008

When Life Hands You Pineapple Juice

I decided to go ahead and try Peter Reinhart et al.'s "pineapple solution," outlined in the L.A. Times recently. I'm now in the late feeding and refreshing stage, and it's a good thing, because I've gotten to the point where I feel like I'm using an awful lot of flour for the amount of bread coming out of the oven (that is, zero bread as yet). So far I don't think there's been much difference between the starter begun with juice and the one begun with water; we'll see how it goes.

Meanwhile, what to do with the extra pineapple juice (it only came in six-can packs!). Make a ridiculous tropical drink, of course.

This one had white rum, Grand Marnier (also left over from something else; I can't remember what), lime juice, and pineapple juice. It would've been better without the pineapple juice, actually.

Here's what my countertop looked like this morning:

Clearly I need to step away from the Stretch-Tite. Whole wheat starter in front; soaking grains (quinoa, oats, flax, cornmeal) in the middle; not sure about the metal bowl in back; regular rye-white starter at right. That's Julia Child underneath the cutting board (so that's where it went), and BBA in the foreground. The banana is unrelated.

No comments: